Kilchattan Primary School is situated on the Island of Colonsay, which lies to the west of Jura and Islay. The island is 12 miles long by 3 wide and has a population of approximately 120.
The school is situated on the western side of the island, about four miles from the ferry terminal, on the outskirts of the township of Kilchattan. Colonsay is one of Argyll’s most remote islands, with boats three times a week in winter linking us to Oban, two and a quarter hours away. In summer the boats run almost daily, including a link to Islay. We also have a twice weekly air service linking the island with Islay and with Connel, just outside Oban.
Our Aims and Objectives
* To have a peaceful, happy school where everybody feels safe and protected and where education is challenging and fun.
* To value and encourage creativity, a healthy lifestyle and high self-esteem.
* To encourage and expect children to reach their full potential in all curricular and personal areas.
* For pupils and staff to be respectful of each other and to create a mutually supportive learning environment, including the wider resources of the island.
* To continue to work in partnership with pupils, parents, colleagues, other agencies and the community to the benefit of all.
* To continue to address geographical isolation by developing links with other schools and encouraging staff to take every opportunity to maintain their professionalism.